ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELD THEORY
UTTARAKHAND TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY
utu question paper
- Suppose an electric fieldis as given then determine the following:(i) E at P if P (r = 0.8, Ø=30o, θ=45)
(ii) |E| at p.
(iii) A unit vector in direction of E at P.
- State and prove Gauss-Divergence theorem. Also comment on its physical significance with respect to flux in flow in a spherical conductor?
- A solenoid 50 cm long, 2 cm in diameter and
contains 1500 turns. The cylindrical core has a diameter of 2 cm and a relative
permeability of 75. This coil being coaxial with a second
solenoid, also 50cm long, but with a 3 cm diameter and 1200
(i) L for the inner solenoid
(ii) L for the outer solenoid
(iii) M between the two solenoid?
- Discuss the problem wave propagation in free space and also obtain the value for intrinsic impedance?
- Given a non-magnetic material with
Er = 3.2, σ = 1.5 x 10-4 S/m. Evaluate the values of
(i) loss-tangent (ii) attenuation constant (iii) phase constant (iv) intrinsic impedance?
- Discuss pointing vector and pointing theorem. Also describe its significance with respect to power calculate for plane wave propagation?
- Given that
in free space, find the average power passing outward through the surface r =106, 0<ϕ <π/3, 0<θ < 2π?
- A good conductor planar in form carries a uniform plane
wave of wavelength 0.3mm and a velocity of 3 x 10 m/s assuming that the
conductor is non-magnetic, determine.
(i) Frequency (ii) conductivity?
- Establish the conversion relationships among three coordinate system used in electromagnetics. Thus, represent given vector P= 4ax + 5ay + 7az of Cartesian system in to cylindrical system?
- State & prove Biot-Savart's law & also explain its physical significance with respect to a current carrying conductor being infinitely long?
- Explain how Gauss's law is significant in respect to divergence theorem & also explain the physical interface linking the two laws with the help of mathematical or geometrical artifacts?
- Discuss all the forms of Maxwell's equation & justify the analogy persisting between the various forms in electrostatics & magnetostatics. What does this signifies physically?
- Discuss Transmission lines structure with respect to wave propagation along with transit-time effect & its significance to transmission line analysis
- What do you understand by skin-depth? Explain with the help of graphs & equations. List down some implicit applications of this depth with respect to communications under the sea?
- Explain & discuss each step of Smith-chart generation & calculation. Also throw some light on importance of it?
- Discuss some of the applications involved for the Gauss's law in work? Derive a relationship for electric field E in a hollow cylindrical conductor & depict its variation along with the distance from the conductor?
- Prove that standing waves are generated in a transmission line with complete expressions along with electrical equivalent of transmission line? Also, graphically depict the forward & backward wave components?
- Explain the propagation of plane wave in a loss-less transmission line & compare the result with low-loss transmission line. Justify your observations mathematically?
- Write short note on any two?
- Poisson and Laplace equations.
- Helmholtz wave equation.
- Curl, Divergence & Gradient.